- 8 oz uncooked lean ground beef (7% fat)
- 12 oz lean ground turkey
- Note: These are the meats the recipe originally called for. I have used all bison, all ostrich, and all 4% fat ground turkey and all of them have come out quite well. In fact, last time I made this, I only had 1 lb of bison, not the required 20 oz, so I chopped up and threw in some crimini mushrooms I had on hand to make up for the extra meat and it came out great. This recipe is pretty forgiving.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 2 tblsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tblsp hot pepper sauce
- I usually use the Tobasco chipotle sauce, which is a bit less hot than regular hot sauce, and it comes out great!
- 2 large egg whites or one whole egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 350o F. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Combine beef, turkey, onion and oats in a large bowl. Mix together tomato sauce, worchestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, egg whites, salt and pepper. Add to meat mixture and mix well with hands. Press into pan and bake 60-70 mins.
Alternatively, you can place the meat mixture into a muffin pan (12 cups is usually what we get out of it) and make cup-meats! You will only need to bake them for 20-25 mins if you do them in muffin cups. We decided to try this one night when we wanted meatloaf, but we were starving and didn't want to wait an hour.