Thursday, November 12, 2009

D'house End is Nigh

Just days after launching the official website of the Rossum Corporation as a attempt at viral marketing, Fox has announced that they will not be renewing Dollhouse. This move comes as no surprise.

The good news is that the network still plans to air the remaining episodes of Season 2 during December and January. Ep 13 of this season will serve as the series finale. My hope is that, since Episode 11 is being filmed now, Whedon and company will have time to write plenty of closure into the final ep. I also can't help wondering if the finale will take place during the time period of Epitaph One," in which case it really should be called "Epitaph Two."

There's one more nugget of good news for the Whedonites in the audience: Joss apparently already has his next project nearly lined up, since he expects to announce it before Dollhouse's run ends. And don't forget about Cabin in the Woods.

I agree with many that Dollhouse is not Whedon's most entertaining series, but I do think it may be the most challenging and thought-provoking fiction of TV.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to see it go, and I'm even sorrier that we didn't get to see his original vision, which was a lot more measured and cerebral, as well as being darker and squickier.

    I certainly hope that this is, finally, the end of Whedon's horrible, abusive relationship with Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to imagine anything with more squick appearing on network TV. I'd love to see it, though.

    I wouldn't be surprised if this were the end of Whedon's work on TV, but I don't think you (or he) can really blame this one on Fox. I mean, they aired all of Season 1, in order, and they renewed the show even though the ratings were poor I can't honestly blame them for taking the show off the air during sweeps, given the ratings.

    I do suspect that Whedon will explore more internet-only or direct-to-DVD productions in the near future.

    ReplyDelete