Wednesday, December 14, 2005

TV Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Like I said in a post or two ago, I've recently completed watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer in its entirety, so it's time for a review. I originally began watching this series for 2 reasons:
  • Nick recommended it to me. Nick has also suggested other series I've enjoyed, including Wonderfalls , Arrested Development, and, possibly my favorite science-fiction series of all time, Firefly. (By the way, the big-screen adaptation/sequel, Serenity, comes out on DVD December 20. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.)
  • It was created, executive produced, frequently written, and frequently directed by Joss
  • Whedon. Whedon was also responsible for the aforementioned Firefly and Serenity.
I must say that the show met my expectations. The first season is a little rough, but the series really takes in the second season and remains solid through the early part of Season 6. On the whole, Buffy is one of the best series I've seen, regardless of genre:
  • There are significant inconstancies, plot holes, and plain-silly plots.
  • Some periods of the show are better than others.
But,
  • The characters are both well developed and dynamic.
  • The Whedonesque dialog alone makes the series worth watching.
Overall, Buffy is not on the same level as Firefly, but it's still very good. I give it 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment