Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Anachrophobia

When I was in elementary school, I was already a fan of science fiction. I also enjoyed learning about nature and was fascinated by spiders (as well as other creatures), so I was well aware the meaning of “arachnophobia.” My mother taught me the meaning of "anachronism,” though I can’t remember how that came up. Around the age of 14, I combined all these influences to create a new word:

anachrophobia, noun. The irrational fear of being misplaced in time due to a time-travel accident.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve experienced a growing apprehension that I will be unable to keep up with changes in culture and (especially) technology. Just recently, I realized that my anxiety about falling behind the times, slipping out of date, or being obsoleted, my trepidation that I will be unable to understand or even operate technology, is just a less literal kind of anachrophobia. So I’ve updated the definition of my new word accordingly:

anachrophobia, noun. 1. The irrational fear of being misplaced in time due to a time-travel accident. 2. The irrational fear falling behind the times or becoming obsolete.
There. I'm sure H.G. Wells, Douglas Adams, Dr. Emmett Brown, and the Doctor would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment