Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Audiobook Review: The Life of Pi

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

I recently finished the audiobook version of The Life of Pi. Here's my review.

The Setup

The book follows a young Indian boy, Pi, through his youth in India, as the very spiritual son of a zookeeper, and his somewhat...complicated relocation to Canada. The story is told mostly Pi himself and partly by a writer chronicling the central character's life.

What I Liked
  • The plot. The central story of the book is quite engaging. Both Part 1 and Part 2, which are very different, are interesting.
  • The central, and principal, character. I found Pi to be quite sympathetic.
  • The voice acting. The actor who provided the voice of Pi (and all the characters he meets) did an excellent job.
  • The zoological content. The author clearly did his animal-behavior research.
  • The imagery. The book is filled with very evocative imagery.

What I Disliked
  • Some parts of the book feel a little...awkward.

The Bottom Line

Overall, I give The Life of Pi 7.5 out of 10. It's certainly an unusual book, and an interesting one, to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment