Sunday, November 11, 2007

Movie Review: The Apartment (1960)

Last night, Alison and I finally got around to watching The Apartment, which have been suggesting she see since early in our relationship. I hadn't seen this movie in some years---since before I met my bride, in fact--- so I was able to watch it with almost-fresh eyes.

What I liked:
  • The script contains a nice combination of dramatic events and comedic dialog.
  • The principal actors---Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLain, and Fred MacMurray---all do good jobs. Lemmon is the standout. He's funny, as always, but also successfully sells the drama.
  • The story is quite compelling, and it provides a disturbing insight into a particular subculture.

What I didn't like:
  • The plot develops a little slowly at times. The film could probably be trimmed from 125 minutes down to 115.
I can see why this film won 5 Oscars, including best picture. Overall, I give it 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment