Saturday, July 22, 2006

Movie Review: Superman Returns

(This review contains minor spoilers.)

A few weeks ago, Lisa, Greg, Alison, and I saw the latest Clark Kent flick, Superman Returns. I wasn't expecting a lot, but I was disappointed. Here's why:
  • The physics is handled poorly. I'm willing to accept all of Superdude's powers, but the way he interacts with the world around him is very annoying. For example, when he lifts very large objects, they don't bend or break under their own weight.
  • As usual, Lex Luthor's plot is ridiculous.
  • Again, as usual, Luthor's moll is a ditz who ultimately sympathizes with Superman.
  • There's a significant plot twist that the audience can see coming "from a mile away," as Alison said
  • Superman's powers are very inconsistent. He always seems to have just enough strength to accomplish the task at hand. (Nick has a name for this phenomenon, which I have stupidly forgotten.) This problem wouldn't be so troubling, if the resolution of the major threat didn't hinge on a one particularly blatant example.

I do have some positive things to say about the film, though:
  • Kevin Spacey was very enjoyable as Luthor; he played the character with great relish and just a little insanity.
  • The visual effects were very good.
  • There were some cute references to the Christopher Reeve films, especially the first one.

Overall, I give it 3.5 out of 10.

If you are looking for a good superhero movie, you should steer clear of this one. Instead, I suggest these:

No comments:

Post a Comment