Monday, January 02, 2006

Point After Touchdown

You won't find much sports news here on Industrial-Strength Science. In fact, I think this entry is the first example. However, I was rather tickled by this particular antic, so I thought I'd report it.

Yesterday (New Year's Day), in the Patriots-Dolphins game, New England* vintage** back-up quarterback Doug Flutie*** scored an extra point by way of the NFL's first dropkick in 64 years. The last time was 2 weeks after Pearl Harbor was attacked, back when the ball was quite a bit more spherical than it is today. Crazy, eh?

* Flutie is, of course, from Canada, not New England.
** Simply calling Flutie a "veteran" is an understatement.
*** "Flutie" is fun to say, don't you think? Flutie, flutie, flutie. Flutie.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Can you tell us when wan the last time a drop kick was *UNSUCCESSFULLY* attempted in the NFL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I'm afraid I'm just not that cool.

    ReplyDelete