Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Movie Review: The Man in the Iron Mask (1939)

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

This weekend, I saw the The Man in the Iron Mask, the first movie-with-sound adaption (made in 1939) of the third part of Alexandre Dumas' novel, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, which was in turn inspired by a real-life person kept in a velvet mask in various prisons during the reign of Louis XIV.

I find the story quite interesting. In particular, the notion of being trapped in an iron mask is quite creepy and compelling. However, the plot holds no surprises; I always more-or-less knew what was going to happen, even though I've never read the book or seen other film adaptations. In addition, the characters are all completely one-dimensional and never change during the course of the story.

Overall, I give it 5.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment