Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Audiobook Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (2004)

To help pass the time during our roadtrip to Chicagoland, Alison and I listened to the audiobook of Mark Haddon's 2004 novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which she had downloaded to her iPod. The book is told from the perspective of a 15-year-old autistic boy as he investigates the death of his neighbor's poodle. I've been a fan of fully produced "radio dramas" for some time, but this was my first time listening to an audiobook. I quite enjoyed it.

What I liked:
  • The writing style effectively conveys the unusual thought patterns of the protagonist.
  • The voice actor narrating the novel did an excellent job of acting, not just reading.
  • The story was quite interesting.
  • I always enjoy hearing British accents and vernacular.
What I disliked:
  • Literally 90% of the sentences in the book start with the same word: "and." I realize the author wrote this way to emulate the style of the main character, but it still irritated me to no end.
Overall, I give this audiobook 8.5 out of 10. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment