I have some music, movies, and books that I'd like to review for you, but I don't want to take the time to do my normal thorough job with each one. So, it's time for another installment of my rapid-fire reviews.
Movies and TV
- Up. Touching, funny, and pretty. 8.5 out of 10.
- Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest. Steampunk, zombies, dirigibles, toxic vapors, and well-written characters. What's not to like? 8.0 out of 10.
- Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld. OK, so this is a young-adult book. So what? It takes place in a steampunked alternate-reality 1914, and it features mecha, genetically engineered abominations, transvestism, and my favorite recently extinct marsupial, the thylacine. Plus, it moves along very quickly and is gobs of fun to read. 8.0 out of 10, at least for, you know, a kid's book.
- Another day Down, by Tapping the Vein. If you like female-fronted goth rock---and it should be clear by now that I do---you'll like this album. 8.0 out of 10.
Meanwhile, I just started working on Scalzi's The God Engines and will follow that with The Sagan Diary. I'm also listening merrily* to Flyleaf's Memento Mori. So, I hope to put reviews of those up soon.
* Can one listen merrily to such angst-ridden music?