Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Internet Series Review: The Guild, Season 1

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

Alison and recently discovered the internet series The Guild, and we promptly watched its entire run.  Here's my review:

The Setup

The series was created by Felicia Day* based on her own experiences playing MMORPGs, and it follows addicted gamer Codex (Day) as her online life crosses over into her real life.  Season 1 consists of 10 episodes of about 3 to 6 minutes each.  Season 2 was supposed to hit the intertubes in September or October, so I'm unsure what its status is. 

What I Liked
  • All the characters are distinct, with unique personalities.  I particularly enjoyed Codex, Zaboo, and Vork.
  • The acting is sometimes pretty strong, and I especially enjoyed the actors filling the 3 roles I just mentioned.
  • The script is fairly amusing, most of the time.

What I Disliked
  • The acting is sometimes fairly weak, giving me the impression that I was watching actors reading lines, rather than characters saying what they felt.
  • The dialog can be a little stilted and artificial-sounding at times.

Conclusion

Overall, I give the first season of The Guild 7.0 out of 10.  If I were a MMORPGer, I'd probably give it a full point more.  I'm looking forward to seeing the second season, if it ever materializes.

* Day may be familiar to the Whedonites in the audience as Vi, a potential slayer from Buffy's final season, and as Penny, the laundromat girl, from Dr. Horrible.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:33 AM

    Team Grondul, I would love for you to review my internet series "The League." It's a comedy about 2 hitmen and their everyday life experiences. You can find it at theleaguetv.com if you're interested.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete