Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Movie Review: The Prestige

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

Alison and I Netflixed The Prestige a few weeks ago. This film was directed by Christopher Nolan and stars Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Scarlet Johansson.* The Prestige, like the novel on which it's based, tells the story of rival magicians in Victorian England.** Here are my thoughts on this flick.

What I liked:
  • The whole cast turns in strong performances.
  • The nonlinear nature of the story is quite interesting, especially toward the end, when the different threads all come together.
  • The psychological ramifications of some events in the film are quite fascinating.
  • The plot takes some interesting turns during its course.
What I disliked:
  • The story is a little confusing in the beginning, since if follows three or more threads taking place at different times. (I must say that the nonlinear storytelling pays off in the end.)
  • There is one highly improbable piece of "science" in the film. (I'm willing to overlook it, since there is only one, and it contributes so well to the story.)
All-in-all, this is the best film I've seen in the last year. I found myself thinking about it for several days after seeing it, which is, I believe, the mark of a good movie. Go see this film. Overall, I give it 9.0 out of 10.

By the way, having really enjoyed Memento,*** Batman Begins, and now The Prestige, I plan to check out the rest of Nolan's films.

* Keep an eye out for David Bowie in a small-ish but important role.
** Oh, and Colorado.
*** Thanks, Nick.

2 comments:

  1. And what's wrong with a movie starring BOTH Christian Bale AND Hugh Jackman??!? Nothing, I say!

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sally, thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete