Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Movie Review: Transformers (2007)

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

Alison and I saw Transformers a few weeks ago. Here are my thoughts.

What I liked:
  • It was great fun to see my childhood toys up on the big screen, albeit in modified form.
  • The visual effects in the film were spectacular.
  • Peter Cullen turned in a solid performance as the voice of Optimus Prime.
  • A surprising amount of backstory and motivation was given to the main human character, Sam.
What I disliked:
  • Many plot points were just stupid.
  • All the "science" in the film was ridiculous.
  • The dialog, especially Prime's, was melodramatic.
  • The film was very self-serving, from a species point of view. By this I mean that (a) the main character was human rather than an Autobot, (b) a human gets to save the day, and (c) there were many cases in which Prime or another Autobot expresses admiration for humans. Ugh.
Overall, I give it 4.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment