Saturday, March 15, 2008

Movie Review: Juno (2007)

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

Alison and I saw Juno a coupletwothree weeks ago. The film follows a high-school girl (Juno) who has discovered that she's pregnant as she decides what to do about her situation.

Here's what I liked:
  • Ellen Page is excellent as Juno, and I also enjoyed Michael Cera as the father of Juno's baby, and Olivia Thirlby as Juno's best friend.
  • The script is very clever and quite funny. Juno's dialog is especially enjoyable.
  • Juno's decision whether to keep the baby, give it up, or abort it is not cast in political terms; it's just her personal choice.
  • The music really adds to the film.
Here's what I didn't like:
  • I honestly can't think of anything I strongly disliked about this film.
Overall, I give it 7.5 stars out of 10. If a funny movie about a teenage unwed mother sounds like something you'd might be interested in, go see it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:43 PM

    i assumed Juno was directed by the same guy that directed Knocked Up, because it's about unexpected pregnancy and Michael Cera stars as Juno's boyfriend (he was in Superbad, a close relative of Knocked Up).

    ReplyDelete