Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Noughties

I only discovered this notation yesterday; it seems that my love of Commonwealthisms and loyal viewing of Doctor Who did not suffice to bring this language to my attention earlier.
the noughties, proper noun. The first decade of the twenty-first century.
According to the 'Pedia, this is the standard notation in the English-speaking world, except in North America, where it hasn't caught on, "largely because few Canadians or Americans even recognize the use of naught or nought to mean zero."

Oh, and let's not forget the adjective form:
noughties, adjective. From, of, or related to the first decade of the twenty-first century.
Once I discovered this word, I simply had to promulgate its use among my enormous and devoted fan base...I mean, six regular readers. So, consider yourself encouraged to adopt this notation.

No comments:

Post a Comment