Sunday, June 10, 2007

Movie Review: Lady in the Water

(This review contains no significant spoilers.)

Alison and I rented Lady in the Water on the same trip to the store on which we rented Slither. Lady was written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, based on a bedtime story that he made up for his children.* Shyamalan also plays a role in the film, a role quite a bit larger than his usual cameo. Since the film is fundamentally mysterious in nature, I won't say much about the plot. I will say that movie chronicles ordinary people becoming caught up in an extraordinary story.

Although Lady in the Water suffered from mixed, mostly negative reviews, I quite enjoyed it. The plot moves at Shyamalan's customary languid pace, but I found it quite compelling. Additionally, the film has an underlying message of hope, which I enjoyed.

Overall, I give it 7.5 out of 10. It's flawed, but it contains some very memorable elements.

* An illustrated children's book, written by Shyamalan, was launched the same day that the film premiered.

No comments:

Post a Comment